Thursday, November 5, 2009

Journal 2

Indoor track has shed a new light on masculinity for me. As a team we work out in the weight room lifting weights. A couple days ago the boys began to brag about how much weight they could bench press; they claimed that they could bench a hefty weight of 125. When it came time to bench press I was watching them, curious as to whether these scrawny twigs really could bench press the amount that was boasted to me. The bar was set up at 65 pounds. None of the boys could lift it. This made me laugh. The boys all insisted that it was heavier than it looked and prodded me to try. I was highly skeptical of my ability to lift it, but I agreed to try anyway. I laid down on the bench, grasped the bar, and completed ten repetitions. Needless to say the guys received several minutes of mocking from me as they proceeded to do their presses with 20 pounds less than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment